Saturday, October 24, 2009

Observed

My parents received the following flier on their door last week. The text had been reproduced in full (with the exception of the name and place of the church).

"Calling all responsible Christians. Please meet at xxxxxxxxx Church, located at **** ************ Road, on Friday, October 30, 6:00pm for a symposium on the true meaning of Halloween and Proposition 8..."

I love how they're throwing a "symposium" on gay marriage and Halloween, as if the two are in any way related, on the Eve of Halloween. If the kids and I didn't have plans, I'd go just to be a fly on the wall. Think I could pass for a "responsible Christian"?


6 comments:

paul [silentsanta] said...

[silentsanta, NZ]
I don't think you're bigoted enough to pull it off.

And glad to hear from you, it's been too long.

Humanist Mama said...

You'd have to be a good "christian" woman and keep your mouth shut as they spewed their craziness....that might be difficult :)

Minerva Cathubodva said...

I don't think you could pull it off either. I think you'd get too outraged to keep your mouth shut.

Poodles said...

Oh I wish you could go. I would love to hear about it. It would be hard to stay quiet though.

Renacier said...

No need to go, I can tell you exactly what the sermon will be about.

Point one: Halloween is a Pagan (aka Satanic) holiday. By letting your child dress like Spongebob, you are honoring Satan.

Point two: Halloween is a time when normal people dress up as monsters, but Gays are monsters who dress up as normal people every day.

Point three (and this is where the plate gets passed around): Satanists (aka Pagans, aka Atheists) are allied with Gays to erode American Values. Give us money or God won't protect you.

For being so crazy, they sure are predictable.

Richard said...

I'm confused.

They want to expose the true meaning of Halloween and Prop 8.

Now, Halloween I understand: Satan has covered the eyes of the clueless public and made people unaware of the true evilness of the holiday. Fine. I get it.

But, Prop 8? Prop 8 was pushed by the churches to deny same-sex marriage. Is there anyone who doesn't believe that the true meaning of Prop 8 was to discriminate? What is there to expose? I'm baffled...

-Richard