Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quiet Spell

Milo wrote in and said, "The quiet spell over here is starting to get a little disconcerting... "

I know and I apologize. Part of my silence stems from the fact that I *really* can't talk about what happened. But, "what happened" is constantly on my mind. The last two weeks have been intensely emotional and draining. I think I've experienced every emotion possible. And, when you have a disease like the one I deal with everyday, this constant swing of emotions leads to a breakdown of the physical. And, to a large extent, I'm really trying to focus on my family until I know we're all okay and can move on. That may take some time. I know that means losing readership. But, as much as I love 99% of you, I love my children and my husband more.

That said, I do have some issues I'd like to comment on.
If you haven't done so, then do go over to The Atheist Experience and watch this week's episode. Apart from getting to see Matt D with a jester's hat and Russell's air drumming, you'll also get to see the take-down of Patrick Greene. Greene is an atheist who, after some previous success in a law suit regarding the Establishment Clause, has become seemingly additcted to finding more things to sue about. He's an atheist. But, as this episode of AE illustrates,...just because you share an opinion on the non-existance of a deity does not guarantee you share an opinion on anything else. I want to write more on this, but words fail to adequately convey the level of Green's delusion.

I'd also like to say that I commend PZ for his handling of CrackerGate08. Not only did he succesfully prove that a consecrated cracker does not bleed when you stick a nail through it (as one might expect from human flesh), but he also managed to highlight some brilliant hypocrisy from the Catholic Church.

Finally, over the last two months, I've been having a conversation with a theist (Barbara) via e-mail. Normally, this isn't that noteworthy. However, in this case, the discussion has remained congenial and informative for over fifteen exchanges. While I would categorize Barbara as a deist, she claims to be "an ordinary Christian". I think she's far more than ordinary. For one, it's rare that a theist e-mails an atheist with the sole purpose of learning more about what atheists are or believe. Yet, that's exactly what she did. Thought we agree to disagree, I have to give her kudos for her attitude and desire to educate herself about people on the other side of the table. Cheers and Happy Birthday to Barbara.

20 comments:

kc said...

I don't think you'll lose too much readership, at least the people that really count. The community you have going here is pretty strong (not that I participate much... I'm trying to stop being a lurker, but I'm not good at the whole commenting thing..).

I really wish you could tell us what happened because we care what happens to you and this was obviously a very big thing, but we understand why you can't.

In the meantime, if you can't manage to put together many full posts for awhile, every few days or so just throw up a sentence or two about how you're doing, or a link to something that caught your eye (like today, but it can be even shorter than this if need be)... just so we can know you that you're still there and so that people can leave comments and keep some conversation going around here, even if it is less than usual. That will be more than enough until you're ready for more than that, even if that takes awhile.

I'm so sorry about whatever happened, and I hope things get better soon.

ozatheist said...

Hey, I kinda know how you feel. It's very difficult to blog when you are going through a personal crisis. When someone has 'kicked you in the guts' it can be difficult to focus on anything but yourself (and your family in your case). So feel free to be as 'quiet' as you need to.

I'm sure all your readers will wait

jimmy said...

As a lurker compelled to comment, I say take all the time you need. I will miss your regular posts (I got all excited every time my rss reader showed a new post from you!), but I will wait. Family comes first.

I hope that you are only dealing with the after effects of whatever occurred and there is not a continued threat. Take care.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

If I can help even in the smallest way let me know.

Milo Johnson said...

Well, that wasn't very reassuring!

Berlzebub said...

Judging by the comments I've seen, loosing your readership isn't an issue. We all understand that IRL and family come first, so take all the time you need.

Oh, and tell Barbara Happy Birthday from me, too.

Poodles said...

If you need some muscle, I could loan you my husband. :-)

aimee said...

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not going anywhere. Hope things all around get better soon.

Flux said...

i'll be around when things have settled and you're posting more. in the meantime, please know that you and your family are in my thoughts.

CAE said...

The beauty of RSS feeds - as soon as a post from your blog pops up, I'll come and read it!

Karen said...

We'll be here! How could we not be? We're with you through thick and thin.

Stephen said...

I'm a lurker, too, but wanted to thank you for letting us into your life. I know my girls always come first, so just do what you have to. We'll still be here.

Brigit said...

Oh, Pmom! I hope you and your family are able to get through this rough patch safe and sound. Big, big hugs.

Dawn said...

You won't lose me, Pmomma. I'll continue to check in daily, even if I don't always comment. But, to second kc, even if you or someone in the family just posts a one-liner "we are all OK", we'll be happy.

You have been in my thoughts frequently, especially since I voted on the Bakersfield poll re: atheists in office.

just another atheist mom said...

I am also a lurker, but a daily reader. I just want to echo what everyone else has said about "being here" for you - whatever "here" is! I don't know how you get on here as often as you do with such interesting & relevant postings, so I will continue to check in daily for whatever you have time to say!

Thank you again and my thoughts are with you and your family.

lisa

Amy said...

Big hugs to you and the whole Possum family. Hope everyone is doing okay :\

aiabx said...

Do the right thing, and we'll be around if/when you need or want us.

redd said...

P momma....

I don't comment a lot, but I check in at least twice a day, and will continue to do so. Take your time, regroup, and I imagine most, if not all, of us will still be here.

Take care,

redd

Psychodiva said...

PMomma - I support you in whatever you do- you have to ensure that your family is ok first and that is what matters right now- I doubt that your core readership is fickle enough to leave you :)

If I can help at all then I am willing and able.

Jen said...

Hang in there...I doubt if there are any of us who would stop reading because you need to spend time with your family processing everything that's happened.