Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Shot gunning

This is going to be a shotgun post (meaning: lots of random topics). As most already know, or have pointed out, there's been a lot of news in my area regarding atheism. The first being the Ford Dealership that ran an ad saying atheists should just "sit down and shut up" because this is America and Ford is an American company. I wrote the company, because I'm interested in the hybrid cars they're making and the ad made me less likely to buy from Ford. I got a response from Ford Corporate that basically said, "We can't control our franchises" and were "investigating the situation". Then, it got weird. The owner of the dealership said, at first, that the ad was ran by mistake. He claimed to have not listened to it in its entirety before it hit the airwaves. But, now he's changed his story. Now, he's saying that he stands by the ad one-hundred percent and people who don't believe in god should "sit down and shut up." He also made a comment about the volume of phone calls he's received during this fiasco. When he was trying to make nicey-nice, he stated that he had received many "pleasant calls from atheists" who just wanted an explanation. Now, of course, he's claiming that he's getting "threatening calls". Know what I think? I think he was shitting his pants over the initial fuss and emails. But, I think that it hit major news venues and he started calls from indignant theists who couldn't wait to slap him on the back and proclaim him a soldier for Christ (or something). I think THOSE calls emboldened him to retract his original apology. And, let's be very frank - if he'd aired an add saying Christians should "sit down and shut up" because we "have a constitution in this country", then he'd have been dodging Molotov cocktails and cross burnings.

The second gem of news from these parts is from the Lancaster area. Debbie Phillips attended a public city council meeting where the issue of putting "In God We Trust" on the wall of city chambers was being discussed. Lancaster waited very patiently and then approached the council to say her piece. Mayor Rex Parris stopped her before she could begin speaking and told her that she was "REQUIRED" to disclose her address (in a public, televised meeting) to the council. She had left the address information on her card (filled out before the meeting) blank because she was taking a position that ruffle feathers. She was told that she could not speak until that information was given. So, she gave it. She then started her statement. Of course, because people in office seem to crap on the constitution they claim to love, the council voted the signs in. And, one would've hoped that Mrs. Phillips could go home, having had her say, and get back to her life. That wasn't in the cards. Following her speech at the meeting, she woke to find that someone had vandalized her house by painting "In GOD We Trust" (emphasis kept as in the vandalism) on the windows and walls. On another window, they had scrawled "In GOD we trust OR...?". The kicker? The Mayor had absolutely, positively no right to demand that she disclose her address during the televised meeting. And, by requiring her to do so IN PUBLIC before speaking, the Mayor violated the law. And, to add insult to injury, the police said that, because it was removable, it would be hard to prosecute. The area's hate crime group is "still investigating to see if this qualifies."
What. The. Fark?
Let's recap: a US citizen gets up to voice her opinion at a city council meeting opposing putting a divisive and unconstitutional motto on public, government property. The putz mayor makes her a target by forcing her to disclose her address or lose her right to publicly object. Her home gets vandalized, while she's inside sleeping, BY HERSELF, and yet...no one does anything to help her?
That's some freeze dried bullshit right there.


16 comments:

Berlzebub said...

"It's horrible. I don't condone that at all," said Councilwoman Sherry Marquez, who proposed placing the motto in the council chambers for what she called patriotic, not religious, reasons.

God, not religious? If she'd been proposing E Pluribus Unum, I might buy it.

Anytime someone points to "In God We Trust" as evidence that the U.S. is a Christian nation, I point out that this country didn't have a Pledge for over 100 years, and it was nearly 200 years before "under God" was added as a knee jerk reaction to communism.

It's examples such as these that make he hesitant to be more open about my non-belief. Myself, I'm not worried about. However, I have a wife and child to consider. My wife is a believer, and my daughter is too young to figure out if she believes. However, judging by the reactions of some people, they may not take such things into account.

A religion of love my ass.

Poodles said...

Corporate Ford lied to you. I used to work for a Ford dealership. We were in business because Ford granted us the right to sell Fords. If this fiasco begins to hurt the sales of the cars I guarantee you that Ford (corporate) will pull the rights of that dealership to sell their cars and give it to another dealership in the area. If they were smart and cared about descrimination, they would do it anyway.

Chook said...

The first story doesn't surprise me. This car dealer would have been hounded if he didn't talk crap about how bad athiests are. Religions can't handle it when they see non-religious people behaving more moral than themselves so they make up all sorts.
The second story... well... I can say that the people I fear the most are religious ones. They do the worst things and think it's OK because god would approve. We only need to look at the worst problems in the world and 99 percent of the time they can be linked to people thinking their imaginary best friend is better than another persons imaginary best friend. When people think like this then we know we are screwed up.
Amazing this sort of thing will pass quickly and hardly be mentioned but if an athiest does something bad, it is preached and recycled for years to come - no matter how small or picky it may be.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I convinced that most of these theists idiots would answer that God was American if asked.

Jess Wundrun said...

I think you are spot on about the response of the Ford dealership owner.

Mephitis said...

I'm very grateful for living in a mostly secular country.

It's incredible. :o

Allyson said...

I hope Debbie Phillips sues the mayor's office. I think they owe her big time.

btw, the link to the Ford ad is broken

April said...

Ford's business practices turned me off from their products long before this - this just solidifies it for me. Buy a Toyota Prius instead.

I hadn't heard about the Mayor and Lancaster, though. Truly frightening.

Allyson said...

April-

Ford's CARS turned me off as a customer long before this. :) Still, it's nice to know their business practices align with their poor products.

I can't afford a Prius yet, but I love my Nissan and my fiancé's Toyota.

Lev P. said...

Went to the Daily News site, left a comment.

Interesting. And I thought California is all made of Hollywood Liberals (tm)...

As for the Ford, they are desperate to get some sales - I read that some dealerships have pickup trucks still unsold from last summer.

aimee said...

I knew there was yet another reason to buy Dodge : )

I can't believe they would be so outright stupid to run an ad like that.

As for the second story, as soon as you mentioned they wanted her to give her address like that, I knew trouble would follow. The mayor knew it would which is why he asked her to give it. That is pathetic.

Country Wife said...

If Mrs. P had owned a huge dog that bit the vandal, her dog would've been taken to the pound and she would've been sued by the vandal for pain and suffering and cited for failure to control her dog. We truly live in a farked up world.

aimee said...

Here is a link to the ad on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTWBKRTv4mM&eurl=http://undergroundunbeliever.blogspot.com/2008/05/youtube-video-with-kieffe-sons-ad.html

Katie said...

Yet another reason to hate ford motors other then the fact the vehicles just suck.

fsmismyhero said...

I wouldn't be surprised if this ad was from the bible belt, but in Cali? WTF?

AlisonM said...

Ya know, if the police are weaseling out of calling it vandalism because it can be removed, someone should investigate the police files of other vandalism complaints just to make sure they're being consistent. If they are, which I find questionable, then it opens up the avenue to classify it as terroristic threats. I think that charge would be a much better deterrent for anyone thinking of pulling this in the future.