We've all heard them. Usually, they're tossed out in the middle of a debate. Occasionally, you here them in conversations between atheists and theists. And, you're almost sure to hear them when theists don't know you're listening. They're logically unsound and, often, completely pompous and/or irrational. What are they? They are, what I like to call, little nuggets of Christ-love. Just today, I've read quite a few:
1. "It is your choice--it is your life in eternity. I choose to believe in God."
2. "It (atheism) is like dealing with a person addicted to drugs...I love the person, but I don't have to love what he does."
3. "These are my choices. I have made them, I will be persecuted for them. Jesus said, "The world hates me, therefore, they will hate you too!"
4. "Atheists are sad people who can't love so they tear all love away from them because it hurts to have god's love if you won't accept it."
5. "If you don't believe in God, why do you keep obsessing about HIM?"
6. "God cares so much that He will keep that burr under your saddle and keep you agonizing."
7. "Rape is in the Bible because it is a parable. The stories of rape teach women to be pure and chaste' because looking for sex or dressing immodestly is asking for men to rape you spiritually."
8. "You are moral because God put morals in your heart. You can't help it."
9. "Most afflictions are given to in the womb because God knows your heart before you are born."
10. "Atheists have no value."
11. "My wisdom comes from scripture. Not logic."
12. "Atheist evolution supporters say that there was a big bang that created life but every big bang I've seen kills life. There for they don't make any sense."
13. "You're an atheist because you don't want to follow the rules God gives you."
14. "Satan has made you think appearances of happy are happy when it is sad you feel."
15. "What if you're wrong? What are you going to say to God?"
The first three came from one person, in one paragraph.
I'm posting this because I've had theist friends say, "It's not that bad." or "The perception that theists don't like atheists is in your head." I beg to differ. These examples are pretty tame. I know every one of my atheist readers has run into these and similar/worse statements. Let's hear em'!