Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rock painting


P3 and P4 were driving us up a wall last night. They wanted to go outside and play, but it was one-hundred degrees Fahrenheit and muggy. So,... I decided it was time to add more painted rocks to our rock garden. If you don't already do it, then I highly recommend it. If you use a clear shellac, the painted rocks will last for YEARS. We have some in our garden that P1 painted at age two. It's cool to look at the progress through the years. It's also a very inexpensive project. If you have a garden center near you, then you can buy a few pounds of river rock for next to nothing (or find your own rocks in your yard or property). The paints can be bought at a craft store. Occasionally, you can get them four for a dollar. We've got an entire shelf full of art supplies for little projects like this and I can't stress how many times it's a been a saving grace to have that stuff at our disposal.

I was telling a reader and friend, over the phone, about my "arts and crafts stash" and she wanted a list of what we keep on hand as well as these pics....so, blame her for taking up your blog reading time. :)



List of stuff I keep on hand for projects...
1. paints - about fifty bottles or so
2. papers of all sorts, including printed and card stock and used wrapping paper and envelopes (the stamps, postmarks, and return address labels are apparently entertaining to little ones).
3. glue, glue sticks, paste, and tape
4. scissors of all sorts (If you're in the US, look at the dollar section of Michael's or Target. You can pick up decorative scissors for a dollar.)
5. Stickers, stickers, and more stickers.
6. Paint brushes, sponges, stencils
7. Crayons, colored pencils, markers, puff pens...etc.,. (Keep broken crayons to do rubbings of leaves, headstones (yea, morbid...I know) or other textures).
8. pipe cleaners and those little fluffy pompoms
9. googly eyes (a must!)
10. pony beads and old buttons
11. Decoupage
12. Cardboard cylinders from paper towels and toilet paper rolls
13. Glitter

That's a start. Have fun! Get messy!

12 comments:

Seven Crows said...

My best friend Maureen and I made rock creatures (with my mother's help) when we were little and now many many years later we still both have them in places of honor in our homes. My favorite is Skunky who doubles as a book end.

Amy said...

I can't wait until E is old enough to do this stuff! :)

aimee said...

Kind of an un-related question. You mentioned you got photo albums for mother's day, and it's cleary obvious you love to take pictures; my question is do you print them, or do you get them printed somewhere? I find that to be the draw back to digital is you then have way too many too print at one time. We have several cd's with our pics on them, but just haven't printed them yet, any suggestions?

Psychodiva said...

hey I keep all that stuf at home just for me!! LOL

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Seven crows said...My favorite is Skunky who doubles as a book end.
:) That's cute. I told Pdaddy that if we should ever move, we'll have to make room in the moving truck for the rocks the kids have painted. I hadn't thought about using them as book ends but that's a really cool idea! Thanks!

Amy said...
I can't wait until E is old enough to do this stuff! :)


Fingerpainting with pudding on a plastic table cloth? All four of mine loved that - it's messy, so I recommend a no clothes policy, but it lets them fingerpaint using an edible medium. On occasion, I'd get the white, vanilla pudding and add in a drop of red food coloring or blue food coloring so they really could "Paint". And, to those reading who are going, "PMomma! You're nuts!! Don't they get it everywhere!?!?" Well, yeah...but that's why science made papertowels. ;)

Kind of an un-related question. You mentioned you got photo albums for mother's day, and it's cleary obvious you love to take pictures; my question is do you print them, or do you get them printed somewhere?
I upload my pics to snapfish. Myself, I'm waaaaay behind on getting my prints, but uploading them is a piece of cake. I try to do the uploads while I'm showeing or doing some other chore. Snapfish mails them to you via FedEx.

maxi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Atheist in a mini van. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Atheist in a mini van. said...

There seems to be a lot of problems with posting in comments. If any of you find any more srtange happenings, please let me know.

I got the e-mail:

"After showing you blog to my husband, he has given me $200 to get supplies for these quick activities. He was really impressed with how often your family can do group activities that suit so many ages. We have 8 - three from his ex-wife, three from my ex-husband, and two born to both sides. :)

What others things would you buy?"

I promise I'll answer this tomorrow.

Psychodiva said...

we have a fantastic place near where I live that colects 'left overs' from various factories and offices and sells them on to parents and playgroups to use in art projects- all sorts of 'junk' is used- like bits of plastic, cardboard tubes,large bits of mountboard, shaped pieces of felt, card, paper in all sorts and shapes and sizes, bits of rubber, bits of tin, stickers - they also do project sheets so I will see if I can find some of the ones I have picked up before and copy them out :)
I am a great believer of using 'junk' or found objects in art - within the bounds of health and safety of course :) and some wonderful sculptures can be made from 'bits' :)

Midnight_RN said...

That's a great idea. Can't wait to try it with my sweet pea. Thanks!

Amy said...

PMomma wrote: Fingerpainting with pudding on a plastic table cloth?

That would be a great first birthday activity! Thank you :)

Ginny said...

Your list of stuff is like mine. I have craft stuff from years back and could probably open a craft store with the inventory I have!

I should do some rock painting with Ben soon. We've not done that one yet together. I love to paint rocks even now at the young age of 42!