Friday, May 09, 2008

Duggar #18

I don't know what's funnier, the look on Jedidiah's face when OfJimBob says she's expecting number eighteen or the fact that at least seven of you wrote me or commented about it. :)

Here's the video.
A couple of observations,...and keep in mind that I'm punch drunk from being in-and-out of hospital this week.

Is anyone else sort of squicked out by the fact that there's some big Duggar-girl calendar where the girls keep track of momma's menstrual cycle? I'll give credit where it's due...at least they used the word "period" loud-and-proud on the Today show (instead of calling it Momma's Dirty Little Monthly Secret), but damn. I have this horrible mental image of these girls poking OfJimBob in the side and saying, "You know, mom...daddy's looking pretty hot and you're ovulating." *shudder*

I loved, loved, loved Jedidiah's face when they made the announcement. He shot the camera a look that was anything but joy. He's probably figured out that this means even less Tater-Tot Casserole for him. By contrast, the eldest boy (Joshua) looked like he'd impregnated Michelle himself. Watch the video and tell me you didn't get the same vibe. He's probably planning his own little Quiverfull.

If you watch the clip, then you'll see that they were giving Michelle Mother's Day Gifts and the older girls bought her an "outfit"...which had some sort of animal print (Grrrr, baby. Very grrrr!). Jessa or Jill (they're all blending together right now) said, "All Mom has is maternity clothes but not much for the in-between times, so we picked out this outfit." D'OH!! They also presented her with a fourteen cup coffee maker. Again, "D'OH!" And, a...wait for it...a pearl necklace (that Michelle has always wanted). D'oh....errr...I think she's had her share of pearl...never mind.

But, I'd have to say that the highlight, for me, was the confirmation that they're going to do a television series. I've long said that the things that look harmless and cute in an hour long special become less endearing when viewed week after week. Maybe we'll get to see the blanket training, the schedule for "time with mommy", and the ironic sexual repression of daughters in the light it should be viewed in?

15 comments:

Country Wife said...

Gads!! That woman is (I think) two years older than me. Isn't she concerned about birth defects?

I couldn't get the video to load *curses dial-up*, so could someone explain about the girls keeping track of the mom's period?

Every time I even think of having that many kids, I just want to take a nap...alone.

Ticktock said...

If you want to know more about this family, see all the things they are doing for this country at...

http://www.zpg.org

Meggles said...

They have a show on the discovery health channel. Sweet jeebus.

JT said...

LOL!

18 children? I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a mental illness in 1 way or another. Not to mention a prolapsed uterus or something along those lines. Ack, I think I'll stick with what I have.

Mumbochick said...

BWAHAHA...Tater tot casserole. I almost peed my pants on that one.

Don't forget cheeseburger casserole, mock turkey casserole, and zucchini casserole. Hey, with that many kids, they can grind their own wheat and make 5,000 loaves.

Amy said...

"OfJimBob", OMG, PMomma you just out did yourself. I think I busted a gut laughing!!

Psychodiva said...

I still worry about the girls in this 'family' - it strikes me as just as bad as the bloody LDS girls who have just been resuced in Texas - what sort of education are the girls getting?
and how can she keep doing it? is it just habit now?

Flux said...

mrs. jim bob makes me sad. seriously. i feel sorry for someone who has done NOTHING other than reproduce her entire adult life, and now clearly has no identity other than "that pregnant lady with the obscene number of children." when her uterus finally DOES prolapse, or when she finally hits menopause, what the hell is she going to do? i sense a disturbance in the force... or a mental breakdown... or something.

the duggars are proof to me that god does not exist. if there was a god, her uterus would have prolapsed 9 kids ago.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

(Possum children avert your eyes)

I was thinking maybe they could do like an Iron Chefs show but call it Iron Vagina or Iron Twats, but then Mrs Dugger would be unbeatable

shaun said...

Really, I think OfJimBob hasn't had enough pearl necklaces...at least they'd be spilling seed all over her...well, you know...instead of shooting it into the Womb of Plenty.

Cari said...

Wow, I've never seen Michelle's face looking that thin! She actually looks sorta young...

I'm so excited they're doing a series. Seriously, I just can't get enough. Yes, the old "train wreck" mentality keeps me going.

"OfJimBob"? Damn, that's perfect. Major props to you.

Stardust said...

This Duggar story reminds me of an exchange some of you might remember between Groucho and one of his contestants on “You Bet Your Life”

Groucho: “Why do you have so many children? That’s a big responsibility and a big burden.”

Contestant: “Well because I love my children and I think that’s our purpose here on Earth, and I love my husband.”

Groucho: ” I love cigars too, but I take it out of my mouth once in awhile.”

;)

audrey said...

Best post on them ever! Hope you don't mind if I linked to your post for my mother's day blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought 'If she had a few more pearl necklaces, she wouldn't have so many kids!'

Yikes!

Robert said...

Ditto on the pearl necklaces, maybe it's a subtle hint?