Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Request from PZ

The great and powerful PZ Meyers, who runs the website Pharyngula, has posted a request. Since I can't think of any way to improve on his words, I'll just quote him.

We need to get the NCSE's counter-site to the hideous little propaganda
film, Expelled, to rank higher in the
search engines. The way to do this is for lots and lots of you to link to the
Expelled Exposed site with the word Expelled. It's not hard: just copy this
code into a blog post.
$a
href="http://expelledexposed.com/">Expelled(replace the dollar signs with the appropriate arrows "<" and
">")
Whenever you write about the movie, use that link. Do it a bunch of
times, if you want. It's more effective if many people use the same link every
time, though, than for one person to be repetitive.


Despite the request coming from PZ, I initially didn't know if I was going to post it. But, then in the middle of watching something on The Science Channel (go figure!), I saw a commercial forExpelled'> Expelled (done!) wherein Ben Stein interrupts an elderly teacher at the blackboard, who's teaching the best and most accepted theory of species adaptation, with a smug and snide remark like, "What started the life?" That pissed me off. It's ceased to be funny when you see a man who's, allegedly, bright totally and completely misunderstanding the claims of evolution. I can't imagine any scenario wherein he hasn't been told that evolution is not meant to address the origins of life. So, that leaves me believing that he's being intentionally deceptive. Not cool.



6 comments:

ozatheist said...

I had also been deliberating about posting the link, but now you have...

ouini said...

Love the idea, but ... I think your link was typed in incorrectly? Doesn't seem to work.

Berlzebub said...

I've posted the Expelled link twice, so far.

I saw it advertised on the History Channel the other night, and Princess made a comment about my scowl. It really ticked me off because they advertised it during an episode of Universe.

I can understand seeing an advertisement on the SciFi Channel, but I saw it on the History Channel and I'm pretty sure I heard it while I had a rerun of Mythbusters (Discovery (Institute?) Channel) running in the background.

I think we should protest, and have them run an advertisement for the Judgement Day DVD every time they advertise Expelled.

gypsyjr said...

I just sent a complaint to the Discovery Channel about their airing ads for this movie. I know it's probably ridiculous of me to expect anything different of a big corporately owned network, but it still disappoints me to see repeated promotion of blatant propaganda on such a generally science-positive channel.

(And I have to wonder how they'd feel about their advertising revenue going to support a show whose atheist creators have expressed interest in debunking creationism on the air.)

Kazim said...

That commercial has been playing a lot on Comedy Central -- probably because Ben Stein is their former star. The way they hammed up the creepiness of the professor with his wild Einstein hair reminded me of a live-action Chick tract.

Also, typical of the caricature... the professor is blathering about how evolution proves that there is no God. Nobody does that in lectures -- first because it's irrelevant to the material, and second because it's not regarded as true by just about anyone.

Psychodiva said...

oh yes! I've done a couple of blogbombs already :) so has my daughter :)