Wednesday, March 12, 2008

PMBG

As some of you may know, or have figured out, I love to read. I guess you could say that I have a passion for it, since there have been more than a few times when I've stayed up until 5:00am to read a particularly captivating book. What I miss, however, is the interaction and deep reading that I did as a high school and university student. I miss the rapport of having to debate my interpretations or discuss the bigger issues that come out of a passage/chapter/paragraph.



So...I was wondering how many of you would be interested in creating a P-momma Book Group (of sorts)? I would probably create another blogger, linked to this one, so that people could follow along if they didn't want to read, but not have their day tied up schlepping through off topic posts about the Book Group. I think we'd need at least eight people to do this right. The format would be as such:

1. The book is chosen and each member has a week to obtain it.

2. We break down the book into chapters (the number of chapters depends on the size of the book).

3. Each week, I will create a post in the PMBG blogger that introduces (with a quick summary) the chapters that were assigned to be read. In comments, we can all share our thoughts and discuss it.

The books will be chosen by vote. As we near the end of discussing the first book, I will post a poll (with the titles of three possible books).



If anyone knows of a specific website that doesn't anything like this, that I could set up for my most awesome readers, then I would love to get feedback and ideas. :)

Anyone interested?


18 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

*Waves hands* Interested!

I love dissecting books, but my opportunities are limited by my husband's dislike of same. (He claims it ruins a book for him to take it apart and examine the clockwork.)

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I am interested. The only thing that I can think might hinder me is the time to get the book. Amazon is a 4 week wait (come on wordpress for dummies)but our two local stores have a reasonable range.

Mephitis said...

I'd be interested, although like Sean-t-b, a week to find a book may not be long enough?

I prefer to read a text and then form thoughts about the whole at the end, rather than review every few chapters - although I suppose it depends on what type of book :D. Some I can't restrain myself from wanting to argue about early on, such as apologetics books.

Happy Bird said...

I'd love to do that! I live right by a Half-Price Books, so usually it's not a problem to get a book.

eyeslikesugar said...

I'd certainly be interested! =)I love to read, and I've always wanted to join a book club of sorts.

Betsy said...

I'm interested! Don't know if I'd have the time, but if I can break the internet habit, I would!

spurge said...

I am also interested.


I rarely post but talking about a good book will get me to do it more.

Jennifer said...

*Raises hand*

Interested party here. I don't foresee a problem getting books....

Sarah Ann Post said...

I'd be interested as well, getting the book in a week might be a problem though...I'm not sure. But I am interested, I feel the same way about reading, and also miss the intellectual discussion from high school and college.

Sounds great, I'm in! :-)

Psychodiva said...

oh I would have loved to- but with all the academic papers etc I have to keep up with I wouldn't have time :( I will, however, watch and enjoy the rest of you doing it :)

Becca said...

MEMEMEMEMEEEEEEeeeeee

Poodles said...

I miss the intellectual discussions from college as well. But I have discovered that I now like to read for either my own intellectual growth or for purely entertainment.

Same with TV and films. I know it is selfish, but I like what I like and that is where I am drawn now days.

It will be fun to watch though.

rubyawake said...

Definitely!!

Maggie Rosethorn said...

I would be interested to try this out. Because my tastes aren't totally eclectic, I am always happy to be led into a new direction by someone. I like to talk about books, too, but not necessarily dissect them.

Katie said...

Wow, this is getting well above the proposed 8 people! I'm interested in the idea...I'm a compulsive reader (of just about anything) and I've always toyed with the idea of book clubs, but I've never heard of many in the area, especially not for anything other than religious (christian) books or what I see as "fluff" books for women. This is something I can make time for!

aimee said...

Pmomma, I would like to join, but was wondering why you have it set up so that you can only post if you have a google/blogger account? Your page, your rules, just wondering.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

I wouldn't read anything into it, Aimee. I quickly set up the blog and didn't set the settings right (Obviously). :)

Mercury said...

Vote me in!