Tuesday, January 08, 2008

All in a days work...

Living in a county that maintains a distant, environmental education program = fun and exciting.
Getting a call at four o'clock that you kid has been puking his guts out on the second day of the week long experience = not so much fun.

This has been a day that I want to notate and then forget. When I woke up, Mr. Possum was hanging over the toilet puking. P4 was laughing at him (<-- Not sure what that was about). Then, we got the call that P2 had become ill at KEEP (Kern Environmental Education Program) in Pismo/San Louis Obispo (Morro Rock, basically). Since I didn't think Mr. Possum could puke AND drive, I loaded up and went to get him myself.
As you can see from the link...it's an awesome place and a great experience. All Kern County sixth graders do it. But, could they have put it in a more inconvenient place? His Social Studies teacher drove him to a semi-populated area for pick-up (since it was dark, raining, and camp is on a dirt road). I need to remember to thank him profusely next week. Six hour drive, round trip.
Someone stick a fork in me...

At least it was cold, rainy, and dark... it could've been worse (I could've had to drive over in the sun!). My dad went with and much nostalgia was discussed. I shit you not, though...It's an interesting ride when you round a corner on a highway and your dad says, "This is where your great-grandpa died." WTF?!?! Which, technically, a heart attack probably killed him, but the fact that he flipped a 1939 Ford, that tore the top off and flung him 30 feet from the wreckage, sure didn't help matters. Oy.

11 comments:

Poodles said...

That flu that is going around really sucks! My whole family is finally done with it. Blech.

lesliepear said...

I hope P2 feels better. Will P2 miss the whole trip :(

AlisonM said...

You know, I've been having more and more of those nostalgia moments with my parents, too. It's amazing the number of things you find out they haven't told you in all these years, isn't it?

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

Hope you don't get it PM. Take care of yourself

Berlzebub said...

That stomach bug has even been around here, Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky. Princess had some... issues, a couple of weeks ago. About a week ago, my stomach started feeling a bit upset, but nothing like what she had. I think mine was just from eating something to greasy.

Since my parents live in Virginia, and I live in Indiana, we haven't had many, if any, nostalgic discussions. However, when I was twelve, I did the math on their anniversary and my birthday.

Me: "Mom? Was I born premature?"

Mom: "No. Why do you ask?"

Me: "You and dad got married on April 1st, and I was born on November 20th. That was under eight months from..."


Then, I noticed the look on her face, and I dropped it. Neither of them mentioned it again until after I had graduated from college.

Natasha Yar-Routh said...

You can drive long distances when you have to vomit frequently. I've done it, twice. You do have to make frequent stops and hope there is a bathroom you can reach. If not you just vomit in the roadside foliage. Nit fun but it can be done. Still all in all it was probably better that you got P2. Hope he and Pdaddy are feeling better.

Berlzebub said...

@ Natasha:

Considering that the person Dr. P-Daddy would have been picking up was also hurling, and they probably weren't on the same... regergative schedule, that could have been a very long (and messy) trip. LOL

Hope everyone is feeling better, P-Momma.

Vamp said...

PM, I don't know how you go to the coast, but is James Dean your great granddad, lol? Kidding. Hmmm, interesting how some details got dropped from the story.

Berlzebub, that was a good one, doing the math...then busted. It didn't change a thing did it?

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Ha! No, Vamp. James Dean died on 46. We were on 166 (the OTHER killer highway). ;)

wineymomma said...

Hope everyone recovers quickly!

Nomoxian said...

"I don't even know why we have a bucket!"

Hope you all get well soon... And too bad about P2 not being able to stay for the whole trip. At least here, they have fun stuff like rope courses across rivers (And it's like a vacation for you too ;D)