Monday, December 31, 2007

Year in Review - 2007

2007: Year in review.
* January 14 - Nazanin Fatehi, a 19 year old Iranian girl previously sentenced to death for killing a man she claimed tried to rape her niece, is exonerated, as her re-trial comes to an end.

In this day and age, it kills me that a woman is not allowed to defend themselves. It is completely barbaric when a man can rape a child and the female has no recourse but to accept such a horrible fate. On the face, I know some theists will say, "But...that's radical Islam." To them, I would submit that we have a version of this in the US. Just look at Warren Jeffs and the whole FLDS religion. You can't pretend that it's only happening somewhere else and to some other religion.
*Jan. 17 - the Doomsday Clock hits five minutes to midnight.

I'm normally not one for arbitrary countdowns to global annihilation, but...wow.
*January 30 - Microsoft releases Windows Vista and Office 2007

...and no one, that I know of, has it.
Feb. 6 - Haggard announces that he's been cured of 'the gay'.

The recovery process was "fabulous!"
*February 10 - U.S. Senator Barack Obama of Illinois announces a presidential bid in Springfield, Illinois.

I know it's not the first time an African American has put a bid in for the executive office, but...how cool is it that we've finally reached a point, in this nation, where a black person AND a woman are in serious contention for the presidency? I'm not saying who I'd vote for, I just think it's one of the positive signs in a world where "positive" is rarely newsworthy.
*March 31 - Sydney, Australia, turns off its lights for 1 hour between 7:30pm and 8:30pm as a political statement for Global Climate Change.

...and candle sales flourished. No. Seriously. I thought this was pretty cool. The Aussies have style (I'm lookin' at you, Sean!).
April 12 - Don Imus is fired by CBS for making controversial comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Consider the source...what ever happened with this?
April 16 - 32 people are killed in the Virginia Tech massacre on the premises of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Man...how sad was this? :(
April 24 - Abortion is legalized in Mexico City.

It's nice to see that a stronghold of Catholicism is coming out of the dark ages. I'd be curious to see some studies about the effects of this.
*May 3 - Madeleine McCann is abducted, the story receives extensive media coverage.

You all know how I felt about this...
How horrible. I hope someone, someday, writes a book about just how screwed up this investigation was and how a child was let down (by multiple people).
*May 15 - Jerry Falwell goes tits up.

...and the world becomes a better place.
*May 17 - The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and the Moscow Patriarchate re-united after eighty years of schism.

And, the Romanovs rolled in their graves.
*June 1 - A 2100 year old melon is discovered by archaeologists in western Japan

So, if you're a YEC, this melon is 1/3 as old as the earth and older than Jesus.
*June 11 - US Senator Larry Craig, a long-time opponent of gay rights, was arrested for lewd conduct in a men's bathroom at the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport and pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of disorderly conduct on August 8.

What woudl a year in review be without a nod to bathroom behavior?
*June 25 - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy Benoit, and son Daniel, are found dead as the result of a murder-suicide that took place over the previous weekend.

...and just like that, Nancy Grace becomes an expert on 'roid rage.
*July 1 - Hong Kong celebrates 10 years of Chinese rule.
...and everyone was hungry again two hours later.
July 21 - The final epic novel in J.K. Rowling's bestselling series Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was released selling over 8 million copies in the first 24 hours.

I admit it. I cried. I was sorry to see this end.
*August 1 - The I-35W Mississippi River Bridge on I-35W over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota between University Avenue and Washington Avenue collapses at 6:05 pm CST during the later part of rush hour, killing 13 people.

I still say a benevolent god wouldn't have had a bridge collapse at rush hour. Oh...wait, there is no god.
August 6 - The Crandall Canyon Mine in Emery County, Utah collapses, trapping six miners.

Man...I'm going through the year and I can't believe how little press this got after they stopped the rescue attempt. In case you didn't know, in November, they sealed the mine shaft entrances with concrete and entombed the missing miners.
October 20–November 9 - Wildfires in Southern California result in the evacuation of more than 1,000,000 people and destroying over 1,600 homes and businesses.

Interestingly, and fortunately, I was talking to an acquaintance in real estate and he said that the areas I referred to (in my posts on the fires) have finally decided to institute incredibly strict building codes for these areas. It's about damn time. We'll see what happens next October.
*October 28 - The Vatican beatifies 498 Spanish victims of religious persecution from before and during the Spanish Civil War.[20]

Somehow, I suspect that these victims don't care. The Catholic Church should consider apologizing and rectifying the mistake against the thousands of children who have been molested by priests - you know, put the living above the dead on the priorities list?

Observations not tied to a particular date...
* I think this was a great year for atheism. Lots of books and new websites. I really think that atheists are starting to join together and demand an accurate portrayal of what it means to be an atheist. We seem to have taken some power back and stopped allowing other people to define us. Way to go team!
* Our home equity graph looked like the Rocky Mountains. We bought in 2000, so... we're still good (even with mortgage rates by Sybil). But, the way the housing market has gone bonkers fascinates me.

17 comments:

Nicholas said...

That was a very interesting look back at the year. I remember it all except the mine in Utah.

Psychodiva said...

:) I have Vista and Office 2007 :)

Interesting take on events- quite USA centric but some world events there - but then I guess it is a personal list?

I have really enjoyed reading your Blog over the last year and have learnt a lot from the arguments and discussions - I hope I can join in more this year since i have changed jobs and am a lot happier :)

Thank you PM and the little Possums and of course Dr PDaddy for letting us into your lives every now and then :)

evolveintobirds said...

R.O.C.A. reunited with the Russian Orhtodox Church?? holy cow! wow. i hadn't heard this. as a former E.O. i'm very happy to hear that. why did you say the Romanov's are rolling in their graves?

i also want to thank you for your terrific blog...i look forward to reading it this new year as well!

Poodles said...

*Sheepishly raises hand*, I also have vista and offfice 2007...

Thanks for that.

Poodles said...

Shit, OFFICE should only have 2 f's.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Psychodiva...:) I have Vista and Office 2007 :)
Seriously...you're the first person I know who has it. :) How is it?

Poodles...I also have vista and offfice 2007...
You're the second. Do you like it?

quite USA centric but some world events there - but then I guess it is a personal list?

There were a few world events. But, yeah...I was only posting the things I remember. I'm sure there are about a thousand things I missed.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

Happy New Year PM.

I was just thinking that "Dr PDaddy" sounds like a rappers name.

Great thing about 2007 - for Australians, we voted out John Howard as Prime Minister

Poodles said...

PM,
I have found pros and cons. Office 2007 takes a bit of getting used to. Things have been moved around into tabs. Vista has been as horrible as I imagined. There have been more "error" type situations, but instead of having to reinstall the whole system it is usually able to recover and find a fix by itself and for a computer idiot like myself that is kinf of helpful.

Poodles said...

OMG I give up on typing on your blog today. That first sentence about vista should read "it has not been". Geez, I'm going home now.

Maggie Rosethorn said...

We have one computer with Vista...it's only used when other computers, with XP don't work. The next ones will all be Apples...just can't handle Linux at this time.

Maggie Rosethorn said...

Additional comment...personally, I HATE HATE HATE Office 2007. Got it for my laptop and it is the most awful program. You can't find anything easily and it is slow. (OK, I'm cheap...I only buy the Student/Teacher editions of Office since I have school age kids, and don't need all the extras. BUT, with the various computer crashes, I've had to buy it a few times since you only can install it 3 times or on 3 computers...but it reads a new hard drive as a new computer...Blech. Apple, here I come, asap....and I SWORE I'd never say that.)

arana-suteshi said...

I'm in the minority when it comes to Vista and Office. I like them both. ^_^ And I have NEVER had a problem with Vista, ever. No crashes, no slowness, nothing. And I'm always learning new programs, so I guess the new format for Office didn't phase me much.

Happy New Year!

Joe said...

Your blog is the first place I've seen where the sealing of the mine in Utah has been metnioned. Didn't see it anywhere else.

Stephen Littau said...

Pmomma:

I found this excellent post by Greta Christina which explains why atheists are so angry (and rightfully so).

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2007/10/atheists-and-an.html

It's very, very, long but I think you and your readers would enjoy it (even as long as the list is, I'm sure that we could think of other reasons why we should be angry about religion)

Godless Geek said...

We have Office 2007 at work and its awful. There's really no more to say about it.

I just upgraded to Vista last week and it is actually not bad. Different, but not bad, just different. Visually, it looks great, and the gadgets are a nice addition. It is somewhat resource intensive, but if you have the hardware to support it, it will run fine. However, I don't really recommend upgrading unless there is a need. For me, I needed to be able to support my mom who got a new computer with Vista preloaded, and lives 2 hours away. Nothing like trying to support an OS that you've never even seen over the phone.

Psychodiva said...

I'm fine with both Office 2007 and Vista - some initial problems with navigating the new interface but now ok with them- I still have XP and old Office on my main computer :)

Sean- I never thought of it when I said it but yes- Dr P Daddy does sound like a rapper lol

I'm not sure I would come up with a more world-wide list myself as I tend to look at things from a European perspective- I only know what is going on in Australia and that area through reading Sean's blog.

Chris said...

I've got Vista, and I'm enjoying it. No problems really, once the annoying UAC is turned off. In all honesty, I can't understand why people don't like it.

As for Office 2007, I've used it on campus and I don't have any issues with it. It takes a while to find where things are initially, but after I figured everything out I like the new interface and can use the functions I normally use faster than I used to. In labs I overheared a number of people complain about it, but it always seems to come down to them not being able to find a feature. I don't think they're being fair, though, as it is a completely new interface...give it time, don't complain just because you can't find it *now*, within the first few minutes using it.

That said, I don't use Office 2007 unless I'm at school. I can get it cheap through my department, but I like OpenOffice more.

BTW: I just caught up on the month I missed out on. I had limited internet access while at home for break and this blog was one of the few sites I was annoyed at missing out on :)