Monday, December 03, 2007

For my friends at EHL...

This is for all the ex-LDS who read the blog.
"Mormon Family Home Evening in the Singles Ward. Or, as I like to call it, "Baby. I'll build you a temple of popsicle sticks. Wanna' follow me to the Celestial Kingdom?"




Now...when I was first pointed to these photos, I thought "no way is this the product of adults." Seriously? Is this what Mormon, unmarried, twenty-somethings (aka: spinsters and old men) do to find a soul mate? Apparently, the answer is a very emphatic "yes!"


Oh and...why am I not surprised that the misshies don't work well with the popsicle stick and glue mediums? Their prowess is really in felt art. Is that a temple or a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant? Someone really needs to start a LOLZMormons web page.

ETA: I have to share some of the comments from the link. I'm laughing my ass off...
"provo temple 2 appears to have a razor-wire fence around it"
"I see things like this everyday when living behind the Zion curtain. I hope next week I can see a thread about Jesus teaching the Lamenites and Nephites om the new world in macaroni sculptures."
"If you listen closely, you can hear the DNA ricochet."
"Here is the church and here is the steeple,Open the door and see all the people BEEYATCH!"
What nobody wanted to try to make the San Diego temple?" --- I'm going to go one further and ask why no one wanted to make the conch shell, styled temple in Independence?
"That's a sweet painting of Jesus crossing the Delaware."

15 comments:

Vamp DiVerL said...

Ooh, that be sad, don't ya know.

awesome_possum said...

I'm calling shananagans! There is no way they ate all of those popsicles!
Unless you eat them it doesn't count as a regulation pop-structure.

Milo Johnson said...

The activities were followed by juice boxes with 'nilla wafers and then a short nap before the camper's moms arrived to pick them up and take them home for a bath.

possumwankenobi said...

The last temple thing in the first picture looks like the Waco compound.

Bunch a moron(i)s.

AmberKatt said...

On the other hand, sometimes its fun in adult groups to just get silly and let the "Inner Child" out to have some goofy fun. Play-Doh, crayons, chalk, etc.

Except somehow I don't think this group was doing that....

Poodles said...

Amazing what sexual repression will get you...

Russ said...

I wonder if anyone has built a life sized popsicle-stick replica of the hat into which Ol' Brother Smith is supposed to have stuck his head while translating the golden plates.

Stovepipe? Derby? Fedora? Fez? Sombrero? Ten Gallon? Robin Hood? Stocking Cap? No mor(m)on duet stopping by my house has ever been able to answer this pressing millinery question? In Smith's time, lots of mercury was used in the making of a hat, and I suspect that a rather substantial portion of it made its way into Bro Joe and is responsible for much of what is the undoubtedly hallucinogen-induced doctrine of the LDS Church.

ShadesOfGrey said...

LMAO - you guys are funny!!

If only more of them would spend their time making popsicle sticks building instead of knocking on our damn doors...

Eight Hour Lunch said...

Oh my...that is tragic. My single's ward actually had pretty decent activities, so I can't relate to this one. Favorite on my list? We used some of Jesus' money to order a couple hundred live lobsters from Maine and had a backyard pool party at the home of one of the high councilors.

And then there was bowling ball croquet, but that's another story. :)

Nomoxian said...

lolmormons sounds awesome!

at this point, i think salamandersociety.com is the closest.

awesome_possum said...

The last temple thing in the first picture looks like the Waco compound.

Good eye, J.

I wonder if anyone has built a life sized popsicle-stick replica of the hat into which Ol' Brother Smith is supposed to have stuck his head while translating the golden plates.
That's their Smithmas project. They have to pace themselves.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

AwePoss - Homework. Now. ;)

Dave Salyers said...

Damn, I missed those activities as a kid. ;-) Fortunately our Family Home Evenings were more normal (it helps when your parents do not agree on religion). We just went on outings to mini golf, ice cream, etc. Any religious content became minimized and ultimately excluded. I don't think that the fact that not only I became an atheist, but my sisters became nonreligious agnostics is simply a coincidence.

I'm still partial to wedding receptions with cookies, kool-aid and sparkling cider, and Twister and musical chairs myself. ;-)

Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Having lived on the outskirts of Mormon land this had me dying.

Thanks

Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Sorry. This comment ruined me.


Wang Commander posted:

"I see five temples but only four teams. Who made the odd temple out?"

Jesus.