Thursday, November 22, 2007

Possums go back to the wild.

Yosemite is as close as I get to having a spiritual feeling, anymore. It's a very special place to me for many reasons; not least of which that I used to climb there frequently. Despite my health, it was an amazing day. I got three of the four possums climbing. P3, Gracie-LouWho, is a natural. She's just turned five and, as you can tell from the pics, she was like a spider. She zoomed up the boulder we had chose for the kids to try out. It was, at peak, about twenty-five feet and she free-climbed it. What's impressive is that the slope was a good seventy-five to eighty degrees and all of the kids scaled it like it was no challenge at all. I need to get this lupus stuff under control so we can pursue this as a family. That's all there is to it.

As you'll see in the pictures, we also got some spectacular pics of Half Dome with a full moon rising. The park was virtually empty. So, we got to take our time and chill. I did push myself, and paid for it, by doing a mile-and-change long, steep trail. I wanted to see what they could do. They did better than I did. The elevation was at 4,200 feet at the trail head and 4,800 feet (maybe) by the time we turned around. My lupus flared like crazy and my chest started feeling tight, so we decided to turn around. I should've taken a wheelchair.

Anywho...I thought you guys might like to see some pics. Ginny will like them. I'm totally beat. On top of the time in the park, we spent seven hours in the car. My FIL and I had some cool discussions about religion and politics. I'll share more about that later. And, to Caron (if she reads this), I have more pics of D&K that I'll e-mail to you guys later. They did really well and K's knee didn't seem to bother her too bad. D was awestruck by the Yosemite Valley.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY to the Yanks on my reader rolls and .... Happy Nov.22 to those who are from other places.



Captions at the link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bedellcl1975/Yosemite

5 comments:

Ginny said...

Looks like great fun. I have never been to Yosemite but would like to check it out some day.

I'm glad you and the kids were able to get out and enjoy nature. They look quite happy climbing...kids are such naturals at it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

PM,

Those photo's were glorious. Happy Turkey day to you.

Hope you are not too worse for wear

ShadesOfGrey said...

Thank you for sharing those photos! I, too, had never been to Yosemite - except via Ansel Adams' art.

The picture of P3 and P4 staring at a rockface was too cute!

milukfrog said...

Nice photos, but the comments on the Native American photos make me a little sad (as a Native American myself). Note: We indigenous types do generally find all males being reffered to as 'chief' as offensive. Also, the dancer photo is regalia typical of dances in this region of California. Nothing to do with being a 'chief' or not.

Some wise Indian advice at Thanksgiving time: Never feed a Puritan, they are ungrateful bastards.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Mulik - I'm sorry you found it offensive. It was supposed to be a joke (as anyone who's seen Finding Nemo might get).

Also, as I've said before on this blog, I am 1/4 NA. My grandmother is full. My ancestors aren't from a California tribe, but I do have respect for the wonderful and colorful history in my blood. I wouldn't knowingly offend anyone. My apologies.