Saturday, November 24, 2007

Mail Time!

"The pictures are neat, pmomma. My ten year old daughter
was reading over my shoulder and wants to know where she can buy that hat and scarf that Possum One is wearing." - Lottie


Hello, Lottie! The hat and scarf were made by her great-grandma. She crocheted them. If you send me another message with your daughter's head size, I'll see if g-gma will work one up for you. I know she's trying to burn through old yarn colors so that she can be new yarn. And, she loves it when people actually wear her creations. She'll be tickled that her creations are being noticed and appreciated.

"Are you going to repost P1's essay this year?" - Ethan

Most likely, yes. I think we're going to talk about it on the podcast, too. But, if you want to read it, you can always go back into the blog archives. Thanks for writing in.

"Are you happy in atheism? I don't know how atheists can be happy. Don't you worry about what you might be missing in heaven? Don't you get scared about your future? I am not trying to convert you so don't think I am. I have never met an atheist." - Isadora
Isadora, I am quite happy being an atheist. I don't worry about missing heaven because I do not believe it exists. There are times when I miss the idea of seeing my friends and relatives "on the other side", but... the knowledge that heaven is, in my opinion, a mythical place helps me remember to value and treasure my friends and relatives while they are alive. I suppose I could turn the question around and ask you if you miss Hogwartz because you don't believe the Harry Potter stories are a non-fictional account of English life. See the problem? Unless you believe in Hogwartz, how can you miss it? You might wish it were true so that you could go and do magic with Dumbledore, but wishing is all it can ever be... unless JK creates that theme park. However, even then, the theme park won't make the stories true.
Oh....and, Isadora, wave to the blog... now you know about 4,000 atheists. ;) All of them would probably be happy to answer your questions.

"Rice crispy treats or jello?" - Teva
RCT's. I hate Jell-O. In fact, the best RCT's can be found at Selma's Cookies (online or in Las Vegas). I highly recommend them. Jell-O is evil. Consumables should not wiggle. Quid pro quo; Why do Mormons like Jello so much?

19 comments:

Poodles said...

Hanging head in shame. Jello is one of my favorites. Probably all the mormons I grew up around. But it has to be red and not have any fruit or *blech* vegetables in it. It can however have vodka in it and be any frickin' (sic) color it wants to be, I love vodka gigglers.

Gramomster said...

Oh, jello shots! Yay! I was gonna say, Lutherans friggin' love Jello too. Molded, with stuff in it. Shredded carrots in lemon jello. Go figure.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I'll go with Jello because I have no idea what rice crispy treats are.

Poodles said...

Sean you poor thing!

1/4 cup butter
1 (10 oz., about 40) pkg. regular marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and continue to stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in the Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal coating them well with the melted marshmallow mixture.

Using a buttered or silicone spatula, press the mixture evenly into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan which has been buttered or sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with wax paper.

Cut into squares when the mixture cools.

Makes 24 squares.

My best friend adds a bit of vanilla to the mixture as well and it makes it extra sweet.

ALSO try using the chocolate rice krispies.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Everyone...let's bow our heads for a moment of silence for Sean.

*bow*

He who hath not partaken of the Rice Crispy Treat has been woefully maltreated.

Oh and...my favorite RCT variation is to dip them in warm chocolate and let them cool. OM NOM NOM NOM!

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I have made and tasted Chocolate Crackles which sound similar. Are rice crispies the same as rice bubbles?

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

cocoa crispies = cocopops
rice crispies = rice bubbles

blog reader said...

How do you know Dian V - Vampire Atheist?

Do you know she lies? I know her from the Californian.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

How do you know Dian V - Vampire Atheist?

Do you know she lies? I know her from the Californian.

We've been friends for a long time. And, if she lies, that's her business. Not yours or mine... care to elaborate on what she "lies" about or are you going to make inflammatory statements and run away? If you are who I suspect you are, then I have to wonder why you'd come here to discuss this...and you're not one to talk about telling lies.

Kathryn said...

My dad liked to pour milk on his jello.

Ewwwww.....

Psychodiva said...

gorgeous pictures of Yosemite :) always wanted to go there- despite the super volcano LOL! I managed ot get as far as Grand Canyon and tramped around the Rockies last year- maybe one day eh?

oh- and I can't stand either jell-o (I supose that's jelly to me ?) or Rice crispie treats - yuk yuk yuk

Summer Squirrel, FCD said...

RCT for me! I haven't had them in forever and now I may have to make a batch just for this weird craving I'm having.

Mom would give us jello when we were sick. I can't stand it now. Too many bad memories of throwing up red jello. Sorry for the visual.

Jello with vodka? See above paragraph.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Used to be RCTs. Now my diet pretty much won't allow them, so it's Jello for me. Fortunately, I like Jello. Red for plain, or yellow or green with crushed pineapple.

Ben said...

@ Isadora:

You have probably met and known many atheists, they just haven't outed themselves to you.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=707

As of late 2006, 73% of Americans believed a God exists. That's 80 million Americans who are atheist or agnostic, 1 in 4. Plenty keep that to themselves, though.

Dave Salyers said...

It depends. My family weren't "Utah Mormoms" as my mother converted in the 1950's from a line of Unitarians and liberal Baptists (yes, there used to be such a thing - go figure). Although I do remember being subjected to "Watergate Salad" and numerous casseroles. Shudder....

Vamp DiVerL said...

Wow this one is funny, I just googled "Vampire Atheist" for the hell of it and my name came up here.

Ahh, must be Mumsy again, trying to start crap. For the record, I'm probably one of the most honest people you'll meet, since I grew up with a liar, I had the full lesson on what NOT to do, from her.

Sorry she's still trying to bospread bullshit through you PM...will it ever end?

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Yeah, I thought the same thing, Vamp. My in-laws were in town when that one came in. I was thinking I'd called you about it, but now I'm pretty sure that I didn't. Sorry. I don't know if it's your mom, though. I mean, why would she bring up the Californian? Do you think she was/is reading there?

Vamp DiVerL said...

She'd bring up the Californian as one of HER lies....I dunno. Quite frankly I'm shocked she hasn't called me whinning about something new. And I'm glad she hasn't.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Well, of course, there's still a few weeks left for her to get in her pre-Christmas guilt trip. ;)