Sunday, September 30, 2007

Paper Back Bookswap

Atheists tend to be readers - with the exception of my esteemed colleague (Jack Jackyl). :) I have recently joined a website called Paperbackswap.
http://www.paperbackswap.com/

It seems like a really cool idea. Basically, you register as a member and list at least nine books that you'd like to clear off your shelves. In turn, you make a wish list of books that you'd like to get your hands on. If a book on your shelf is desired, you print the address off of the paperbackswap notification and mail the book to the person requesting it. In turn, if a book on your wish list is owned by someone in the PBS database, they will do the same in turn for you. You earn credits by the number of books you send. I've sent out four, so far, and have managed to get two in return...my wishlist is a bit obscure, so I imagine it will take a bit longer.

If you join, please list me (Possummomma) as your referral - I get a book credit.
As I said, I think this is a really cool idea and makes sharing information easier.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's also bookmooch: http://bookmooch.com/

Maggie Rosethorn said...

Oh, this is AWESOME!!!!! I am a reader, too, and have tons of books that I usually end up donating or something. I'll check this out and sign up when I get home from work. Thanks, Pmomma. I'll make sure I mention you.

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

I don't know if I can let go of my books,I have 4, full 6 foot bookcases bursting at the seams.

Calladus said...

Pmomma, you might want to check out LibraryThing.com.

It's an easy to use library catalog website that allows you (and others) to browse your library at a glance.

I've got my own library visible now. One neat thing is that now I can view my library contents via my cell phone browser - which is handy for seeing which books of what series I own and what I'm missing when I'm at the used bookstore.

Ah, and speaking of used books, check out wishradar, a site that watches book prices for you from Amazon and other places. It will email you when the price falls below a certain point. I purchase most of my books used these days for a dollar a book (or less) plus 4 dollars shipping.

The books that I purchase from woo woo authors I ALWAYS buy used. Usually for a few pennies plus shipping.

Jennifer said...

I believe another similar site is www.titletrader.com, which also lets you swap used CDs, DVDs, and textbooks.

I've considered joining some of these sites in the past (I really need to find a cheaper way to feed my reading addiction, and the library only has so much variety). The problem is that, like you, I have somewhat obscure reading tastes, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of them. From the searches I've done, they seem quite light on the nonfiction and sciencey-type books, which are my main interests at the moment.

So, right now I'm making due with just throwing everything that tickles my fancy onto my Amazon Wish List, and hoping that someone decides to buy them for me. ;) I can always dream, right?

Maggie Rosethorn said...

OK...I signed up. I'll need to make a list of books I have to swap and books I want.

Sean...I have tons of books, too. My motto is "if I haven't re-read it in a year, out it goes". Unfortunately, I tend to re-read a lot! I have 10 bookcases, between the basement and the living room, mostly full of books, of various heights. But my best friend and I tend to swap books that we enjoy, so that saves. I'm going to send her to this site, too.

Maggie Rosethorn said...

Finally got my act together and listed some books. AND.....I found, on the book list, a book that I have been searching for for about 25 years!!!!! My mother had it and read it when I was young, and I read it too, but I couldn't remember the author, title, or anything except a little about the book. but on Bookswap I entered the little bit of information in the search and it came up. I am SOOOOO excited. Thank you again and again for listing this site, Pmomma. The book is now on my wish list.