Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm back.

Hello there. :) I'm back.

I'm home, I'm home...thanks to you guys and your sacrificial goats. *smile* Crystals (well, kidney stones actually, but close enough) were part of the problem, so we can lay off of those. But, yes. I'm feeling pretty spry today: probably because I got a decent night's sleep last night (hospitals suck for sleeping). I saw my nephrologist today and he is "cautiously optimistic".


What happened? Well...basically, it was pretty much spot-on as Jack described it. After our last podcast, I relapsed into another round of nephrosis and kidney stones. Then I got some sort of jungle, monkey flu and...bingo: hospital. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. In fact, it's more like, "stop here...empty your wallet into this bucket". I'm not sure if I shared it with Jack, at the time,... he came in AFTER the dose of dilaudid and woo-woo juice, but he showed up at the perfect time to lift my spirits. I'd had a really shitty day. It ended up in them bringing down the PICC line guy to put in a Picc. So, thank you Jack. I remember very, very little of what I said to you, but I'm sure it was entertaining...right up until I asked you to get my plastic tub to yak in. What a guy!


And, OH YES!! The priest...

Like I said, Friday was the day from suck. I was feeling TERRIBLE and grumpy. My meds just weren't working the way they should and I could NOT get comfortable. So, this priest walks in and says, "Hi, Mrs. Possum. I noticed you changed your religious status, but I was wondering if you'd like me to pray with you or allow me to pray for you?" Um. Huh? What part of atheist made him imagine that I would want to pray WITH him? I think I said something like, "well, if you want to say a prayer to make YOU feel better, go ahead....knock yourself out." and he did. He kind of insinuated that I'd feel better if I accepted his blessings and said that "prayer has power and God heals". When I told him I just really wasn't up for it and didn't believe in it, he did the sign of the cross over me and left - a very nice man, but...yeah. Anyway, here's the funny part: like ten minutes after that visit, I start puking. And, I continued to puke, almost non-stop, for three hours. It was like a twisted version of the exorcist. Linda Blair has nothing on me!! It didn't strike me as funny until Jack arrived, but basically, the prayer didn't work. I didn't feel better. In fact, it made me feel ten times worse. OR, their really is a God and he enjoys making people suffer for doubt. I think the priest should look for another day job.


Anyhow...thanks for all of the well-wishes, once again. Hopefully, Jack and I will get a new podcast recorded soon. I might be up for it this weekend.

On a family/home note: it must be close to Fall. We had to pull the sandbox in because of the black widows, but P#4 might've ran away had we not thought of an alternative. So, I give you: indoor sandbox. Mr. Possum said that he heard some crunchy noises from the nursery at 4am and walked in to find P#4 playing in the bean box by light of the nightlight. Ha! I think that makes it a hit. And, if there's ever a natural disaster, we have sustenance. I feel very LDS right now.

18 comments:

aimee said...

Glad to have you back pmomma. You have been greatly missed. I hope that this is the end of your misery and you can get on with things.

Damn, praying is such a waste of time, arg.

I have to tell you on a side note, that some friends of mine just found out I was an Atheist, they are also. But their 11 year old daughter came up to me very excited, "Aimee, I didn't know you were one of us"!!!
I just thought it was funny.

Seriously though, I am glad you are back home.

Chakolate said...

My seven-year-old grandson is autistic, and he has a rice box. It holds 25 pounds of uncooked rice, and he can bury things in it. It has the most amazing calming effect on him - sensory integration, you know. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know that sitting on the floor outside the box and putting just hands (up to the elbows, sometimes) is just as good, and takes up less space. :-)

Chakolate said...

Oops, forgot to say that a sheet on the floor under the rice box is highly recommended. ;-)

Erp said...

The chaplain should have left you alone or just turned the conversation to something interesting to you if you were up for a conversation. If he felt like praying, he should have done it away from you.

In regards to hospital chaplains it appears one in Florida got fired (or came to a mutual parting of the ways) for insisting on praying in Jesus's name even when the patient hadn't requested it. Several news articles on Danny Harvey.

"A hospital spokesperson said there is a strict code of conduct in place for its chaplains, to refrain them from imposing any sort of denomination or their beliefs onto patients. It is a code, they said, Harvey broke repeatedly, which sparked a slew of complaints from patients."



Hope you are feeling betters soon.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Chakolate,
We have plastic tarping under the sandbox when it's in the house. And, we chose the big beans because they can be scooped up with a plastic shovel (a nice "clean up" job) without leaving starch residue. We did rice for a while, but P#4 and P#3 wanted to be IN the box. LOL So, we bought the sandbox. In spring and summer, we use creva (it's pebble sand). In winter and fall, we use the beans. It's fun, like you said. And, I totally agree with it being an over-all sensory experience. P#1 is super excited - I've caught her sitting in their dragging her fingers through it...very zen like. LOL

It's also a great tool for little kids when you're dealing with concepts like volume and weight. "How many spoonfulls will fill up that truck -v- this truck?"

Oh. And, yeah... it did take ALOT to fill it. There are 3, 25lb bags in the sand box. And, for the environmentally concious, the beans are compostable. We just chuck em' in our garden area and turn them under.

Maggie Rosethorn said...

Welcome back, Pmomma! You were, as aimee said, greatly missed. I hope everything gets cleared up and you are back in charge of the den.

Take it easy, regain your strength and enjoy feeling better.

Loved the priest story, although I am sorry for you that it lead to horrible hours of vomiting.

Poodles said...

Hopefully you are on the road to recovery!

Glad to have you back.

Allyson said...

I'm glad you're back!!

Ginny said...

It's good to see you writing again! I know you probably still feel bad but comparatively speaking I'm sure it's loads better. Your strength never ceases to amaze me.

Vincent said...

I'm glad you're home again.
I can't find it now, but wasn't a study recently published that showed the results of prayer for heart patients was actually an increase in mortality?
I'd have told that priest get away as he could be doing more harm than good.

Corbie said...

Erf! Hospitals suck, big time. I'm glad you were finally able to get some sleep--what is it about nurses that makes them wake you up 5 minutes after you get to sleep? "Sorry! Need some more blood/urine/money..."

Take care of yourself, please!

ShadesOfGrey said...

How wonderful - not only are you home, but you're posting as well!

Wonder if it would work to have my kids play in the frozen green beans we preserved all summer....? ;)

zooski said...

Yay! Good to see you're back up and running; all that quiet on your blog started making me nervous.
Pretty lame of the priest. He obviously wasn't interested in your needs at all.
Take care.

Saurian200 said...

*pant* *pant*

OK, it took me a while, and I almost got shot by farmer Johnson, but I got the goat!

All right, now let's sacrifice this thing and get Possummomma back and...

...

Oh, P-Momma! Uhm, hi.

How are you? Better? Glad to hear it.

Well, uh, I should probably, you know, go return this goat.

Now don't you go and get sick on me again. I won't stand for it. Plus, I don't know if I'll be able to get this goat back.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Welcome back! Now hang around a while please - no running off to the hospital to play with priests!

Seriously, I have a friend who's just completing chaplaincy training and she would be horrified at the idea of praying over an athiest patient unless it was something that the patient needed or wanted for some reason. Her job is to offer whatever spiritual/emotional support the patient needs, not to make herself feel better.

yuyay (formerly Sarah) said...

Glad to see you're back!
The homesteading forum I belong to is rife with calls to prayer from the members. I have to bite my fingers every time to not post that study... As fun as the vomiting wasn't, it did make for a good story. ;)

geetha said...

welcome home pmomma

Sean the Blogonaut F.C.D. said...

Glad to here your back.

On black widows, my wife discovered a red back spider(australian variant of the widow) on our sofa - inside the house this morning.

It was a large one too. Big enought to put one of us in hospital.