Saturday, March 10, 2007

Eva got it. :) - Meaning of Possum

I'd like to congratulate a new reader, Eva. :) She is the first to understand the meaning of "possum" and why I call my children "possums".

Dear PossumMomma,I love your pseudonym. I haven't seen enough of your site yet to know why you're calling your kids your little 'possums' but i'm taking it as a BEAUTIFUL little pun on opossum/the latin verb 'possum' meaning 'i am.' Glad to find your blog, I've bookmarked it. Take Care,Eva

Possum, in Latin, translates as a verb. It means "to be able to" or "to have influence". It is used, in the language of Latin, to describe something of purpose or ability... sometimes, slangly, used to say "i exist".

So, kudos to Eva!! You are the first person who has understood the significance of the term. In the English language, the opossum was called an opossum because of it's ability to act as if it were dead when it is actually very alive. However, this was a misunderstanding of the root Latin word. My "possums" are capable, cunning, wonderful creatures who, although small, will one day have great influence and ability.

Edited to add: I've been extremely fatigued lately,... but, I have some topics of interest that I will get around to soon. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying life.

4 comments:

Sean the Blogonaut said...

Clever. Learnt latin in 8th Grade and forgot it in 9th. I thought cute furry little marsupials was a nice mental picture for your readers.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Well, there's that too. :)

We used to catch opposums sitting in our avacado trees, when I was young, and those animals were the most clever animals. Mean at times! But, extremely clever.

Virginia aka Ginny said...

I have a few visit my compost pile from time to time.

Eva Kopie said...

Useless classics major :)