Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Proactive brain = development of theology.

I'll just start off by admitting that my title is probably semantically and philosophically unsound, but...bare with me, please.

My eldest possum and I discussed the concept of "God" this evening. She asked a very simple question and, thus, I will phrase it as if she had written-in to this blog.
Possum1 asks: When did humans first develop a concept of God? Why do you think they did so? Did God just "appear" on the radar?
She asked this because a friend of hers, at school, said that "God just has always been." Possum1, being an intelectual sort of possum, found that to be a very thought provoking question and asked her theologic friend, "How do you know?" The friend couldn't answer.
Anyway, I tried to answer her questions.
After much contemplation, I've come to the conclusion that humans probably created a concept of God when they had successfully moved into a proactive state of existance. Let me give you an example: If our concestors/ancestors were constantly consumed with the activities and "daily grind" of scrounging out the bare necessities of living, there really wasn't much time to sit around and contemplate a divine creator. After all, there was very little "creating" going on, period! Life was probably a series of action(s)/reaction(s). It is my proposition that a concept of a supreme creator couldn't have become part of the lexicon or philosophy until human ancestors actually had the capacity to 'create'. If someone has never proactively created something that changed their environment, how can they conceive that something has been created? If they never give 'pause to the cause', how can they possibly think about the origination of said cause?
I just have this theory that once man mastered fire, food, shelter, and...well, upright ambulation (which made the hands useful), they probably took a look around and thought, "What else might I do to make life easier?" Life always chooses the simplest path...the path of least resistance. And, often, they strive to make the path even easier. It's at this point, I believe, that human kind took a look at all of the things that SEEMED created or needed explanations and said, "well...something HAD to make all of this....if *I* am impacting the world by my actions, then surely all of the things I'm not doing must also have an originatory creator." At which point, possum1 pointed out that these people who created God, probably didn't speak like Edwardian essayists and the thought process was probably corrupted by primal emotions like fear, stress, and awe.
Anyway... that's what my daughter and I talked about this evening. Maybe tomorrow we'll tackle the far more pressing and important question: "What do we get possumdaddy for his birthday?"
Discuss... :)

No comments: