Sunday, October 22, 2006

A few questions...

Kevin says: You talk about Catholicism like you still like it. Why? Don't you hate all religions?
I don't "hate all religions". In fact, there are a precariously small number of things that I can muster up any semblance of hate for. Religion(s), quite frankly, aren't worth the time and energy required to "hate". I think you can choose any religion and find something redeeming within it. Nothing can be all bad or all good. I don't believe such dichotomies exist. So, it would be silly for me to suddenly see religion in terms of black and white.

What books have you given your children to read about atheism?
I don't know if all of these are strictly "about atheism", but they are great books for any child who expresses an interest in free thought or logic.

From Homer to Harry Potter: A Handbook on Myth and Fantasy by Matthew T. Dickerson and David O'Hara


God Said It And Bang! It Happened The Unbelievable Explanation Of Creation by Stan Jantz and Bruce Bickel

Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong by Dan Barker

Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A Guide for Young Skeptics by Dan Barker

Complete Works of Thomas Paine

How Do You Know It's True?: Discovering the Difference Between Science and Superstition

The Kids Book of World Religions

What Is God?

Just Pretend: A Freethought Book for Children

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your possums seem like great children. I just have to give you a book recommendation for them: Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's a great novel about a teenage norwegian girl that one days gets a note simply asking "Who are you?". She (and the reader) is then led through the history of philosophy in a very mysterious plot. I loved it as a teen and I've been meaning to read it again for ages. I think I will now. It's very thrilling and it really got me thinking about all the great questions.

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Thanks for the book suggestion. We have not read that one. :)