Sunday, September 17, 2006

Menstruation and God

I had a conversation about menstruation, with my daughter, today. We occasionally have random chats about the topic: nothing heavy, just an open line of communication. She mentioned that her grandmother told her that menstruation is God's reminder of Eve's sin. *insert eye rolls from both of us* Since I know that I have Christian/believing readers, I'll ask this question: Do you guys actually believe that bullshit? Do Christians really truly believe that the Bible is correct on this issue? Because, as my eleven year old pointed out, and I quote: "What did the female animals do to God?" She has a point. Even if the believer uses the Bible to support this misogynistic dogma that women bleed every month as a punishment, then how do they explain the fact that other female animals have menstrual cycles? What? Did a female dog eat the forbidden bone of knowledge? Did a bonobo chimp fling poo at God? Notice the bible says nothing about the fact that most female mammals bleed (shed the nutrient rich lining of the uterus) during the reproductive cycle. It only speaks about menstruation as "Eve's punishment for sin." Curiouser and curiouser.

7 comments:

erin said...

No way. That has always bothered me. Women menstruate to make babies. Yes, your period is not fun, BUT I can't see anything too horrible something that, well, somewhat lets me know that my body is able to have a baby.

Aerik said...

Wow, grandma's a real psychologically child abusing bitch!

Aerik said...

Also, what would the grandma say about women olympic athletes (or starving women) who stop menstruating when their body fat dips below 15% or so? Is god feeling sorry for the starving women and/or rewarding the effort of the female athletes? If god has this need to punish all women through the ages for the alleged sin of one woman, why is it so easy to get around it simply by being an athlete, starving, or having a hysterectomy or (whatever the name is for just removing the ovaries)??

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Yeah. Grandma has issues.

Virginia aka Ginny said...

Personally I think a bonobo flung poo.

Anonymous said...

Do you vote Democrat? I bet you do don'tyou?

erin said...

HAHAHAHA. I wondered how long it'd be before someone brought up politics...