Saturday, September 02, 2006

The key chain.

One of our closest friends was in a local Christian Mega-Store (books, shirts, gifts...etc.,.). She's a sweet, sweet girl. She's a Christian, but - thus far- has been respectful of our beliefs, as we respect her beliefs.

Anyway, she bought me a keychain. It's small, square, yellow, and has the words (in red): "April 1 is National Atheist Day!" written in bold script.
Is it funny? Yes.
Is it clever? I have to say...it is kind of clever. The implication being that April 1 is April Fools Day, and therefore all atheists are fools.
However, it's also extremely passive-aggresive! "Look...we're calling atheists fools! LoLlersk8s" *rolls eyes*

Anyway... carry on. I wonder how fast I would have the conservative Christian posse on my doorstep if I started my own line of atheist stuff? See... I'd be a mean and nasty Atheist, if I created a keychain that said "April 1 is National Christian Day." Christians are just being clever. Interesting.

5 comments:

erin said...

Christian humor just isn't funny. I had to stop and think about that for a second before I got it. And then I thought, Oh. That's...lame

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Christian humor just isn't funny. I had to stop and think about that for a second before I got it. And then I thought, Oh. That's...lame

Well, it almost sets Christianity up for a joke. It's like you expect Jesus to; show up on April 1st, play hide the atheist, see His shadow, and then pop back into the grotto for six more millenia of guilt.

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's my question for your next blog entry...:)

How does your family (ie parents, possumdaddy's parents and siblings) react to your being an atheist?? Does his family feel you have "led him astray" or are they okay with it??

Sara

erin said...

I just feel as though (some)Christians take personal affront to the dumbest things. Like atheists and Harry Potter, for example. Neither one interrupts my day to day life (well, except for when the next HP book comes out and I am GLUED to it), so why should I be bothered? I take much more personal affront to the Baptists that found it necessary to ring my doorbell yesterday morning.

maya inez christina said...

yeah and it was a 'fool' who invented and developed many devices that profoundly influenced life around the world, let us be reminded whenever we switch on a light bulb: "Oh Thomas, thou were such a fool tsk... And behold! There were and are so many Atheist 'fools' like this great man who enrich our lives on daily basis...

As for christian humor; it is per definition without humor, so why bother huh?

i leave u with a quote of this masterly genius 'fool' Thomas Edison:

“I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul. . . . I am an aggregate of cells, as, for instance, New York City is an aggregate of individuals. Will New York City go to heaven? . . . . No; nature made us--nature did it all--not the gods of the religions.” The New York Times, Oct. 2, 1910 ("No Immortality of the Soul" Says Thomas A. Edison,