Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hannah asks...

Hannah says:
I am enjoying your blog. I was raised as a Catholic but I converted to LDS a few weeks ago. I like your candidness about the catholic church and your willingness to talk about your experience. Can I ask why you woudn't be LDS?


Hello Hannah,
I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. I'm also glad that you feel comfortable enough to approach me, with questions, in a respectful and congenial manner. I hope that continues to be the tone of this endeavor.
Yes. You certainly may ask why I would not be LDS. Although, I'm afraid it might be a long story, if I were to start at the beginning. So, I'll give you the short answer and, if you want, you can ask further questions later.
First, it would be difficult for me to subscribe to any diest belief system, since I don't believe that the existence of a supreme diety has been proven. LDS, Catholic, Christian, or otherwise: until I see evidence for God, I choose not to devote myself to a dogma that perpetuates blind faith.
Secondly, the origins of Mormonism are suspect and none of the claims made by Joseph Smith have ever been substantiated by evidence. In fact, most scientific research tends to shoot down his claims one-by-one. I think, on some level, the LDS Church got a short end of the stick, when it comes to believability, because it is such a young religion (comparitively). Most, if not all, of the history of the LDS Church has been recorded by multiple sources and we still have access to the primary sources surrounding the evolution of the church. So, it is held to higher scrutiny than most religions.
Thirdly, while I believe all religions embody some aspects of cult-like behavior; Mormonism really tips the scales, in my book. We can go into greater detail, should you wish to at some other time, but as I suspect you are LDS, I do not wish to burden you with facts and information that may "put your soul in peril".
That brings me to my last objection: I can't respect any religion that discourages its members from pursuing an objective study of its origins and a critical examination of it's doctrine.

Anonymous said...
Sorry that I fogot to answer your quetsion. I believe that if you need prayer Heavenly Father is available any time day or night. Humans make many many mistakes so the hospitals sign is funny. God doesn't have hours like a corner store. He is there to help and listen whenever we need Him. He can only work through us if we allow him our mind and spirit to perform. -Hannah


Thanks for answering my question. That took courage. I'm glad that you feel that your "Heavenly Father" is available to you at any time. Personally, if I were to believe in a diety, I would hope that he was on-the-clock 24/7. ;) As for God only being able to work through us if we allow him... well, I think I need to point out that that logic doesn't hold water. If God is an omnipowerful being, our hearts and will should be secondary concerns. Being omnipotent and omnipowerful should give him the keys needed to convert any and all, wether their spirit is ready or not.

2 comments:

Q said...

Hey,

Were you aware that you have a tendency to misspell "deity" (a god) as "diety" (on a diet)?

I saw it once and thought it was a typo, but now that I've read more of your blog and seen it everywhere, I am beginning to think this is a nutrition blog and not one about atheism. :^)

Atheist in a mini van. said...

Thanks for the correction. Yes! Unfortunately, my daughter is a better speller than I am. It's also laziness on my part. I generally blog late, late at night- after a full day of getting the kids taken care of AND working from home. But, still no excuse to screw up deity. :) Thanks for mentioning it- now I'll be, to borrow a phrase from my son, "Uber sensitive" to it. Now...if I could just figure out some little mind trick for spelling restaurant (did I spell it right?). :)